Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have Macular Degeneration. I have had 3 injections of

Customer Question

I have Macular Degeneration. I have had 3 injections of Lucentis and 2 injections of Eylea a month apart. The Specialist has told me I have a 'bump' at the back of the eye. On tis most recent visit, Nov. 1, 2016, he told me the 'bump' has started a small rip and that I will mot likely lose the sight in this eye. We decided to go ahead with the injection this time hoping for better reports in December.
Can you explain what a 'bump' in this location is and why it would form? Also, what is your opinion of injections, or is there any other treatment?
Thank you,
Elizabeth Imlay, Subscriber
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is most likely either a torn retinal, or a problem with the optic nerve

What else was said

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today.

I am a retina specialist.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

And this has noting to do with your optic nerve and I very much doubt it is a "torn retinal". Please allow me to explain:

There is no way that a ophthalmologist or retina specialist would send you home with a "bump" or small rip in your retina without treating it. Full thickness retinal tears have to be treated. Period.

Concerning what this "bump" is, unfortunately, it is impossible to tell with the limited data you have provided. If you could give me OCT test results or clinical notes I can probably figure out what it is...

And, concerning lucentis and eyelea injections for wet age related macular degeneration I think that these drugs, along with avastin, are the best things to happen to this condition since sliced bread. I use all three of these drugs on an almost daily basis and have saved thousands of patients from certain legal blindness since we started using this class of medications around 2006.

So. What should you do?

If your ophthalmologist told you that you have a small full thickness retinal rip, and she wanted to "watch it" I think you should get a second opinion from a board certified, fellowship trained retina specialist ASAP.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS