Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

After eye test, I get pain in my left eye. I am near sighted

Customer Question

After eye test for glaucoma, I get pain in my left eye. I am near sighted and doctor checked my eye pressure and it was 24 on both eyes so he said I do several eye test to see my conditions. after the test he said since my cornea is thick ( 600 i think
), he said I dont need eye drops now however I need to checkup each 6 months... the problem occur in one of my test that the nurse cover my left eyes so I can see with my right eye and perform the test. But she cover it very hard that it hurts my eye . the
pressure was about 3-4 mins until the test finish. by now its exactly 24 hours and I still have some pain in my left eye. Its abit less pain than yesterday but its still there Is this get well during time? I had always this fear in my mind that during these
tests I might get hurt, and It sounds finally It happened to me :(
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

It is true that thick corneas can give falsely high intraocular pressure records. Hence do not worry about the pressure but do go for regular eye exams annually. It would have helped to know whether you underwent gonioscopy to detect The status of A.C. angles. If documented as open angles then nothing to worry.

The pain in your left eye will subside gradually. Use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops,1 drop 4 times a day as it will soothe the eye. Bot***** *****ne is there is nothing to worry if your eye exam was found to be normal. I'm sure you would have been told if there was to be something wrong in the eye which could have caused this pain. Stay calm and be relaxed. Lesser the anxiety the better you will feel.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am mostly worried about that pressure on my left eye by the cover, at first she cover it very hard and it took 1-2 mins then I couldn't tolerate and told her to loose it but still the cover was hard on my left eye until end of test which last 4-5 mins.
I read on internet that nearsighted people should not rub and add pressure on their eyes as it could tear their retina...
I can feel its abit blur when I look at text with my left eye in compare with right eye.
right now the pain is mostly on upper side of my eye .
I prefer to avoid to drop anything in my eyes if its going to get well by itself

No, it is not possible for ocular occluder to have caused any kind of retinal damage. Mere pressure over the eye will not cause retina to tear even if you are myopic. But I guess you are hypermetropic since your corneas are very thick. If you do not eant to use any drops, you may wait for the pain to subside naturally.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I get another opinion from another expert too?
Just to make sure my question was understood.Thanks

I am just following up with you. Has the pain in your left eye subsided? Did you follow up with your doctor again? Did my answer help? Do let me know. If the answers did help then I kindly request you to rate me accordingly.

If you still have issues with that eye and need more clarification then please do feel free to ask. If you do not wish to receive answer from me and need another opinion then do request for a new expert.

Thank you and best wishes.