Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I can sometimes see 2 black dots on the parts of my eye.

Customer Question

I can sometimes see 2 black dots on the green parts of my eye. They are about 1/10 of the size of my pupil and tend to come and go. Do you know what they may be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

It could be vitreous hemorrhage (bleeding). You should see an eye doctor to have an exam.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be anything else?
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

They may be just eye floaters (small flecks of a protein called collagen). They are usually benign. But if you flashes of light, a loss of side vision, or sudden increase of the number, it could be more serious such as retinal detachment, retinal tear, bleeding within the eye. If not, vitreous hemorrhage I mentioned to you is unlikely. However, they can rarely occur when there are eye disease, eye injury, diabetic retinopathy, crystal-like deposits, eye tumors. You should have your eye checked to exclude the possibilities.