Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I got some pimple pus (it was a sebaceous cyst he had )

Customer Question

I got some pimple pus (it was a sebaceous cyst he had for months) squirted into my eye I washed it right away should I be worried the pus had such a bad smell
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

You should not be worried, in that there is no reason to do anything more than what you have done, although there should be sufficient concern to be monitoring the eye. The primary intervention in this situation is to wash out the eye well, and that is done mostly by large volume of irrigation.

There is a risk of infection, but washing out the eye is the best early protection. Otherwise, the only thing to do would be to monitor the eye for any early signs of infection, uch as redness or drainage. If any symptoms develop, then it would be appropriate to be seen at that point.