Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Occasionally this happens and I never know who to see or

Customer Question

Hi, occasionally this happens and I never know who to see or what to do. Last time, it happened with my right eye (this was several months ago). Since Wednesday the left half of my left eye has been bloodshot. There's no particular additional discomfort. I wear contacts (I haven't put them in today). I was just wondering if there was anything I could do to heal the eye besides getting more rest from the contacts and sleeping more in general (it's been a stressful week). Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

You should use over-the-counter eyedrops called artificial tears. Don't use eyedrops for red eye (Visine, Clear Eyes) that could cause rebound redness. Also you should apply a cloth soaked with cool water to your closed lids.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. How long would you recommend staying off my contacts? What causes this type of irritation? I always thought this was some kind of infection, but perhaps it's not as serious as that.
Expert:  khagihara replied 1 year ago.

Until your eyes feel better or the redness is gone. It could be irritation from a chemical splash or a foreign object. If you have watery discharge, it could be viral infection. If you have thick discharge, it could be bacteria. infection.