Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I am 53 years old, female, and have a healed corneal

Customer Question

I am 53 years old, female, and have a healed corneal abrasion in my right eye for which I am undergoing treatment. the abrasion did not heal 'properly' and I now have cloudy vision in that eye. Simultaneously, I was diagnosed with sixth nerve palsy in that eye--unconnected with the injury, which occurred, probably, during sleep.
Meanwhile, my left eye--the uninjured eye, is exceptionally light sensitive--horribly so---and my opthamologist has told me this is a sympathetic response to the right eye. Do you have any ideas about what could help with the light sensitivity? I was told I may have to live with this for the remainder of my life!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dr Rick,
Yes, I take Depakote for epilepsy (controlled) and I am a type II Diabetic, and also have high blood pressure. Now, having said all that, primary care doc said sugar was not bad enough to cause palsy, nor was blood pressure (for which I do not take meds). Last blood pressure was 120 over 60 (??) anyway, quite good, only a couple of days ago. No other meds.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for that additional information.

I do not agree that, at this point, it is time to feel that the light sensitivity or corneal problem is something that you have to deal with for the rest of your life.

A corneal abrasion that healed such that a scar/astigmatism/surface problem (there are different ways that a corneal problem can go "wrong") is causing a loss of visual acuity, can be treated in many different ways.

And your "horrible" light sensitivity in your other eye makes me believe that you have significant intraocular inflammation........

So What should you do?

Dump this (are you sure she is an ophthalmologist (eye MD) and not an optometrist?) doctor and get a complete evaluation by a Fellowship Trained, experienced, corneal specialist.

I am sure that you can be helped....

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS