Dr. D. Love, Doctor
Experience:  Family Physician for 10 years; Hospital Medical Director for 10 years.
21597572

I keep getting small (i mean extremely small) black

Customer Question

i keep getting small (i mean extremely small) black follicles in my eyes. Ive been to an eye doctor - I brought samples of what i removed from my eyes for about 3-4 weeks to the eye doctor - she didnt seem that concerned - said it was probably due to dust. I have used eye drops - prescription and over the counter - i have spent 4 weeks cleaning and vacuming my dusty apt - i purchased a HEPA Dyson vacuum - purchased 2 air purifiers - dusted - etc - but - the small black follicles and minor pus keep appearing in my eyes. helppppppppppppppppppppp!
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I saw somewhere on the internet that there is some kind of eye disease or overall disease - its rare - I think - i cant remember the name - it results from being exposed to dust mites and/or animal dander - i cant remember the name off hand -
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i did more cleaning today - threw out blankets and even bought a new sofa - took out the old one - i discovered at least 2 spider webs - cleaned out, etc -
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What i find strange is - i wash out my eyes - and hands - constantly - but - i regularly can take out these little black follicles - (size of a pinhead) from my eyes?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just remembered - the eye doctor - after examing my eyes - said i had very dry eyes - thus im using "Refresh" on a regular basis the past few weeks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. D. Love replied 1 year ago.

Hello from JustAnswer.

Dry eye can occur because of inflammation in the eyes, and the black follicles could be secondary to the dryness in the eyes. If lubricating eye drops, such as Refresh, are not effective at controlling the dry eyes, then another option would be Restasis eye drops, which is available by prescription.

It also is possible that this could be related to allergy, although there would usually be evidence of allergy from the exam by the eye doctor. An antihistamine eye drop may do better for allergies.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good morning Doctor - thanks for getting back to me. While you have not seen what i am takingout of my eyes - (micro size particles - etc - black micro size particles - etc - reddish brown particles -
IM just wondering what these particles are? Why constantly in the eys? Are they dust particles? Cat and human dander and dust? MOld? Are there any companies that you know about that come to your residence to analyze what these particles are? Woould that help prevent the particles from getting in the eyes or would that not really be useful?

When there are particles that are only in the eye, it suggests that it is from the eyes, rather from the environment. Environmental exposures would usually cause more diffuse findings, such as also in the nose and mouth. With the findings of the eye doctor, it would suggest that these are related to the dry eyes, such as concretion of sloughed material that would normally be flushed from the eyes. I do not know of any company that could perform such as examination in the home.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That is a relief of sorts - the eye doctor did the eye test etc - and emphasized that I have very dry eyes. Just curious, if i do not take the small particles out of my eyes everyday, what happens to those particles? Do tears subsequently wash them out? (I assume so)Thanks again doctor - the good news is - because of the eye and the dust issues - i have cleaned my apartment more than i have cleaned it in 10 + years. LOL (Really) - The amount of dust i have seen up in my loft - and elsewhere - is amazing.I will make subsequent changes to the way i live. I will clean.Mark Lazarus"The eyes have it"

Yes, the tears would typically flush them out of the eyes, but with dry eyes, you are not making the usual amount of tears, which is why treating the dry eyes is important.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Got it - i now realize that the very dry eyes - with all the previous dust - and just as importantly, having a window a/c and 2 air purifiers facing me as i lay on my couch - is/was the problem. I will continue to use Refresh etc. I also moved the 2 air purifiers further away from me and the couch = (I had them blowing towards me to cool me off) That probably helped lead to dry eyes.

Blowing air on the face would not cause dry eyes unless there is a condition of the eyes also present, as the eyes can normally have a vast increase in tear production. However, in someone with a condition causing dry eyes, blowing air on the eyes can significantly compound the problem.