Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I woke up Monday morning with some swelling around my eye.

Customer Question

I woke up Monday morning with some swelling around my eye. No redness or pain or discharge. Tues same thing just a little more swelling. Today my eye is practically swollen shut and there appears to be a little bit of discharge coming from the eye. Vision is fine and eye itself is not red.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The day before the swelling I was outside clearing kudzu and other twigs, leaves, and no telling what all was out there but I did poke myself with a twig in or near the eye that is swollen. I am extremely allergic to poison ivy and there may have been some of that. I really can't say for sure.
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

Since the vision in the affected eye is fine and there is no redness or profuse watering or sensitivity to bright light, I guess the chances of allergy are more. It could have been anything right from pollen in the air or contact with the twig which hit your eye. It is better to give cool compresses for symptomatic relief and take Oral Cetirizine, 10 mg , 1 tablet at bedtime. The swelling should come down by 2-4 days time.