Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract surgery on 09/10/15 and a larger incision had

Customer Question

I had cataract surgery on 09/10/15 and a larger incision had to be made and 3 stitches put in. The ophthalmologist says it is the stitches that are causing the fierce discomfort in my eye and they are not ready to come out (2 weeks later). I asked when the stitches could be taken out and he said "eventually". He put in a "bandage" contact lens which helps a little with the feeling of "something always in my eye". He also gave me eyedrops. My question is: Is there anything else I can do for this fierce discomfort other than the "bandage" contact lens?
***@******.***
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

It sounds to me like your problem is a scratch on the cornea rather than the stitches in your eye.

It is not normal for stitches to hurt like that....and if they are hurting then something should be done, like burying the knots etc.

So. What should you do?

I suggest you consult with a different ophthalmologist for an opinion on why your eye is hurting so much.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS