Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

What would be the effect of accidentally getting liquid or

Customer Question

What would be the effect of accidentally getting liquid or dried mercury metal (which is toxic) in the eyes? Would it cause blindness or eye damage? What should be the first aid procedure? What about melted or flaked-off plastic in the eyes?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.

Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.

Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?

Are you having any visual problems

This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no, it's a rather hypothetical question. mercury or plastic in the eyes.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for that additional information.

The mercury would just run out of your eye area and not cause much of a problem at all.

A piece of plastic could scratch or cut your eye but otherwise is pretty inert and non toxic.

So. In a nut shell? Neither of these things should cause much, if any, clinical ocular problems.

Does this make sense to you?

Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)

It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but isn't mercury toxic on contact? and what about melted plastic?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

No. Mercury is not instantly toxic on contact. We used to play with it in highschool for hours and we all turned out ok.

Melted plastic is not going to hurt you either, unless it burns you.

You need not worry about this.

Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)

Dr. Rick MD FACS

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is this true of most things in general - that the eye does not absorb toxins on contact, such as cadmium, heavy metals........but surely over a long time it still would absorb