Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Feel a sharp pain in the corner of my right eye near my ear

Customer Question

Feel a sharp pain in the corner of my right eye near my ear side. Feels like a pimple almost . It's an annoying pain
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Is it swollen in that part of the eyelid?

Is there any localised tender spot?

This is just an information request and not an answer. I look forward to your replies.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not swollen in that part of the eyelid. The only pain I get is when I blink on hold my eye lid shut forcefully. It is an "annoying"'pain

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

One of the likely cause is presence of an inflamed meibomian gland. These glands are modified sebaceous glands present in the eyelids and secrete the oily layer of the tear film. If only one gland is inflamed it can cause pain, especially with movement of the eyelids such as blinking or forceful closure. Treatment is in the form of warm compresses for 10 minutes, thrice a day for 4-7 days. In addition to this you can give gentle lid scrubs so as to help the opening of the meibomian glands to be open. Avoid vigorous jostling . You can use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day , to soothe the eye.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can this be caused by lack of sleep ? Stress? Allergies ?

Allergies yes but unlikely to be due to lack of sleep or stress. If those were the cause, the pain would have been kind of constant and not intermittent or only associated with eyelid movement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Let me be a little more specific , the pain increases when I blink or hold eye lid shut. It started yesterday and has not subsided .

Ok,Thanks for the information.

So the pain is always there but increases when you blink or hold eye lid shut.

But even then it would point towards a high possibility of an inflamed meibomian gland .

Lack of sleep can cause generalised pain or diffuse pain around the eyes.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's the pain/discomfort is there. So hot compress and refresh tears and this should go away in a week ?

Yes, hot compress and refresh tears would help. Please make sure that the heat applied should just be adequate and should not be too hot .

Is there anything else that I can answer for you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I will just do what you instructed. Thanks

You are most welcome. Hope the remedy works well for you.

Please do remember to rate this response if you found it to your satisfaction.

Thank you and best wishes.

I am just following up with you.

How is your eye now? Does it still hurt?Did the warm compresses help? Did you put the eye ointment/eye drops as suggested? Have the symptoms improved?

Sorry about so many questions but I do want to know whether your eye has improved.

I look forward to your replies and hope you are feeling better.

Have a good day!