DrHoellering
DrHoellering, Doctor
Experience:  Doctor of internal and general medicine self employed
61885400

I'm having eye symptoms since yesterday. It felt like at

Customer Question

I'm having eye symptoms since yesterday. It felt like at first contact lens irritation do I removed them and that's when a lot of pain started suddenly... Redness, tearing, feeling like something was in my eye and when I looked in mirror I see what looks like a line or the outer edge of a contact lens.
Went to a clinic and the Dr said nothing inside my eye. Then called my eye Dr and prescribed antibiotic drops. That seemed to help but after I was sleeping, in middle of night the symptoms started again. The pain lasts for few minutes then subsides especially with a cold compress.
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Even when that intense pain I described goes away, my eye is still left with a dry and little irritated feeling for the day. I did notice that this morning when I put the antiobiotic drops in my eye that prompted that intense episode to happen and then after I slept for a few hours right when waking it happened again.
Expert:  DrHoellering replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Most probably a crack in your lens has lacerated your eye, which is very painful. The eyedrops only prevent infection, but can't accelerate healing. Little lacerations heal quickly but sometimes hurt much longer; weeks or months (but not as bad as now). Wit l little wound in your eye the whole eye is irritated, therfore th reddening. It is getting worse after sleep, because the eye gets drier under closed eyes (Bepanthen eye oinment is helpful), and after being irritated by eyedrops. Please start wearing your lenses only when your eye is perfect and free of any pain.

I wish you a soon recovery!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, so you don't think I need to worry about a retinal tear? And when the eye starts occasionally with that intense pen why when I look in the mirror do I see what looks like a vertical line? Then when the pain is gone, I no longer see it?
Is there anything over the counter that can help like drops like Systane? Thanks. Jen

The retina is in the back of your eye and can't be affected by a contact lens. It's the cornea which hurts, and the line maybe a little scratch, which will heal. Systane is an artificial tear product. It may help, but better are ointments like Lacri lube. But please take them for the night and don't stop the antibiotics!

How are you doing now?

You have read my answer but didn't give a positive rating yet. Is something still not clear? Feel free to ask!

Otherwise please hit the positive (hopefully excellent) feedback button for me, because only then I will receive credit for my help. Thank you!