Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I just went through a drive thru and the guy that took my

Customer Question

Hello
I just went through a drive thru and the guy that took my credit card looked like he had pinkeye. I immediately wiped my hands off with antibacterial wipes then I cleaned my credit card but I'm worried I'm going to get it. The outside around his eyes looked red but I couldn't really tell if it was inside his eyes or not. Please help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the question.

You done the right thing by cleaning your hands and card with antibacterial wipes. That is the best way of prevention. However do not worry about getting a pink eye. It is a harmless viral infection which resolves naturally within 4 to 7 days. There is no preventive eye drop medicine for it. So nothing to worry and stay calm.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can you get it from objects like that? I will shower as soon as I can but I'm worried.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just want to know how likely I am to get it from touching my credit card?

Yes, there is a possibility of getting an eye infection however remote it can be. No one can predict the chances of infection but all I can say is that it is very very bleak because you took the correct preventive measure of cleaning your hands and card with the wipes. Believe me , we ophthalmologists get to see and examine such patients all around the year but we do not contract the eye infection because we always remember to sanitize our hands after examining each case. That shows how important the use of hand sanitizers is. Be cheerful and don't worry : )