Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My boyfriend has had a sore eye all day. He describes it as

Customer Question

My boyfriend has had a sore eye all day. He describes it as feeling like there is gravel in his eye. Should he go to the ER?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

It would be best to first give a thorough eye wash to that eye so as to dislodge any tiny particle in the eye. You can use clean potable water, about 500 ml over 10-15 minutes. The eye might feel a bit irritated after the eye wash. He can lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day( available OTC). If the foreign body sensation continues to bother him, then he can stand front of a mirror or ask someone else to have a look, evert the upper eyelid and have a close look at the under surface of the upper eye lid, as this is the most common site for a foreign body to get lodged.

If a tiny speck of foreign body is seen then it can be dislodged with the help of a clean Q tip. Avoid using anything else in the eye. In case the foreign body sensation continues to bother him then he can consult an ophthalmologist ( either at the ER or at the eye doctor's office the first thing Monday morning)

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist