Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I broke nail polish and the polish and some glass flew into

Customer Question

I broke nail polish and the polish and some glass flew into my eye. I rinsed with water from well tap for 20min nd doing more. what else other than rinsing would er do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Sorry to know about the mishap.

Does the eye hurt? Severe pain in the eye ?

Is there profuse watering from that eye?

This is just an info request.

Looks like you are not available for chat at the moment.

If you have only mild discomfort and no significant pain in the eye, then it is likely to be a mild chemical injury of the eye. You have done the right thing by rinsing the eye with tap water immediately for 20 minutes. This ensures that most of the irritant gets flushed out and reduces any further damage. The next thing to do is to use lubricating eye drops ( many are available OTC such as Refresh tears) every 2 hours .

In case of redness of the eye with watering or mild pain, it would require low potency steroid eye drops such as Fluoromethalone or Loteprednol eye drops as they help to reduce the inflammation.

In case you have any foreign body sensation or grittiness , then it is better to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist so that it can be checked whether there is any tiny glass particle stuck in the eye .

Bot***** *****ne is to get the eye examined by an ophthalmologist if there is severe redness, pain, watering from that eye. If none, then it is likely to be a mild reaction which will subside with lubricating eye drops.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.

Thank you and best wishes.

It was a pleasure to have answered this question.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist