Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I've been suffering from one itchy eye 6 months now. I'm

Customer Question

I've been suffering from one itchy eye for nearly 6 months now. I'm very frustrated and starting to get concerned as I've had*****appointments and no relief.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

have you tried allergy mediation like allegra or zyrtec or claritin and steroid nasal sprays like Flonase or Nasonax or Nasocort steroid sprays?

how bad is the itchiness on a scale from 0-10?

any crusting around the eye in the morning?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Flonase prescription and I take Claritin from time to time but I do not like taking any medications on a daily basis and figured it's not an allergy as it is just in one eye. No crusting. It's a complex situation/diagnosis as I've seen many professionals over it: ophthalmologists and an ENT and no one can figure it out.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

are you having allergy symptoms of runny nose? nasal congestion?

you didn't answer how bad the itching was on a scale from 0-10?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have sinus issues only on the right side but they have been ongoing for years (I even had surgery in 2010 to straigtphten a slightly deviated septum) and an ENT I saw recently said its not a related issue. The eye problem started suddenly in March. For days it felt as if I had something in my eye and I kept using natural tears. It then changed to a very isolated itch in the corner underneath the upper eyelid. On a scale from 1-10 it's about a 8 I must scratch it, it subsides for a bit then comes right back.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

have your eye doctors flipped up your eye lid up to check for foreign bodies trapped under your eye lid?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I even endured a procedure where protein deposits were cleaned out but the problem still persists. I passed out during the procedure. Not all deposits were removed.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

does the dexamethasone steroid eye drops help the itchy symptom?

any visual problems in that eye?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing I have used thus far has worked so no, the steroid ointment doesn't help long term just temporarily. No visual problems.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I would consult with an ophthalmology department at a larger university medical center.

do you have a large academic university medical center where you can consult with an eye doctor there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I live on Maui so options are very minimal.
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

I would go to Univ of Hawaii Honolulu, HI to consult with eye doctors there.