Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a strange flashing big zig zag curved flashing in my

Customer Question

I have a strange flashing big zig zag curved flashing in my left eye. Still there with eyes closed. Should I worry? Its a bit like having an insect wing in my eye but no discomfort.
My pupils are crooked from Cataract removal 25-30 yrs ago. I'm just 70.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

Flashes of light can occur due to a pull or a traction on the retina. This can occur with posterior vitreous detachment(PVD), Retinal detachment(RD) , Vitreomacular tractional bands, migraine and other conditions. PVD is characterized by a sudden bout of flashes of light with floaters. However it does not cause any loss of vision except some fogginess in the area of floater. Whereas in case of RD, apart from flashes and floaters there is blurring of vision in one or more part of the visual field as if looking through a veil or curtain. If you are experiencing only flashes and no visual loss, then it is most likely to be due to PVD. This can be diagnosed by an ophthalmologist following a dilated eye exam. Usually it does not require any further treatment. I guess you can observe the eye for any new symptoms or any visual disturbance such as mentioned above and take an appointment with your ophthalmologist. If there are no other eye symptoms then you can just wait and watch.

If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist