Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Stan, I went routine eye check yesterday and the optometrist

Customer Question

Hello Dr. Stan,
I went for my routine eye check yesterday and the optometrist discovered what he called a small leakage near the optical nerve in my right eye. I also had a number of floaters in that eye for many years and he said there is no floater near that leakage. I haven't had any headaches or nausea or vomiting recently. I had the flu about 4 weeks ago with congested sinuses. My blood pressure is usually 115/75, I am a 54 year old female. The optometrist wants to perform a dilation (photos) and an ultrasound. Could I please get your opinion? Should I worry about a brain tumour? My vision has not deteriorated in three years. Thank you
Helena
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Helena,
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
I am a retina specialist.
I would not bother having an optometrist dilate your eye for some possible "leakage" she found on a non-dilated eye exam. Nor would I trust that an optometrist knows enough to do a competent ultrasound evaluation....
And, no, you should not worry that you have a brain tumor....
So. What should you do?
Make an appointment with an ophthalmologist (Eye MD) for a complete, dilated eye exam and evaluation of what the optometrist found. There is a very high probability that the Eye MD will find that everything is OK.
Does this make sense to you, Mate?
Don't forget to mash the positive (excellent is the most fun to push) feedback button.....without this important step on your part the funds you left on deposit are not released and my kids will spend another cold winter barefoot ;)
(It is summer on my side of the planet right now ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS