Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I just recently developed a stye in my upper eye lid. As I

Customer Question

Hi i just recently developed a stye in my upper eye lid. As I picked up my eye lid to get a closer look, it started to drain in to my eye. I quickly washed it out with water. Im wondering if I need to go to the doctor to get it drained and will my eye become infected? Also how do i prevent it from draining into my eye again.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Most styes do not develop drainage or discharge. They are usually a closed collection of fluid that resolves over the course of 2-3 weeks. Warm compresses can facilitate it's resolution.

Since you have discharge, it seems that your stye is infected. You should see a doctor as soon as possible for antibiotics. Depending on the severity, you may just need eye drops or perhaps oral antibiotics.

I hope this is helpful. I wish you the best!

Expert:  Dr. Leah replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I just wanted to follow up with you. I hope you have been able to see a doctor and that all is well.