Dr. Thomas, MD
Dr. Thomas, MD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, also Integrative, CAM, etc
24257177

Past 3 weeks I've woke with an achy right eye across the top

Customer Question

For the past 3 weeks I've woke with an achy right eye across the top and toward the back. When I get up for the bathroom, it aches worse if I turn my head to the right side, or look to the right side. Strangest thing is it doesn't hurt if my eye is closed and I turn these directions ---- only when the eye is open. It eases up after about 5 minutes--- until I lie down again. As morning approaches, it's completely gone, and there are no symptoms during the day. I'm 69, female, healthy, and don't wear contact lenses. I don't know what to think of this, but I'm beginning to worry since it's every night and always just the right eye. I had an opthamology checkup just 2 weeks ago, and nothing was found. I didn't mention it at the time, because it had just started and I figured it would just go away. Please tell me what this might be. I'm an anxious person, and now my anxieties are running wild, and I think I have a brain tumor!!!! Thank you for your help.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Thomas, MD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
An atypical migraine is possible.
Disc problems in the cervical spine, the neck.
Muscle strain in the neck.
All are possible.
I suggest you see an internal medicine doctor and request a neck exam, possibly x ray or MRI.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.