Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

QUESTION}My daughter was in ICU months from 11/14-2/15.

Customer Question

QUESTION}My daughter was in ICU for 3 months from 11/14-2/15. Infective endocarditis. Had open heart surgery to replace 2 valves, one bovine, and 1 swine. She has a pacemaker. She also had a skin graph done while in the hospital. She also had severe pneumonia. For the last 2 days, she's been feeling sick, headache, and now her eye has a sty or something on her right eyelid. Now she is in bed with sweats, moaning, body aches, said she feels sick like when she went in the hospital before. Blood pressure is 115/90. Could the endocarditis be back?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of clinical experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It does sound like she has some sort of infection going on. Is it something a bad as a recurrent infection on one of her new heart valves?
Based on the data you have provided, it is impossible to say.
So. What should you do?
She needs to get into see her doctor, either her cardiologist or internal medicine MD this morning.
Given her history, if she can not get in right away to her doctors then she really needs to go to the ER; if you can give her a ride, that would be OK but I'd not hesitate to call an ambulance.
As to the stye? Hot compresses will take care of that...nothing to worry about.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
As A father of five, three of them daughters, I can't image what you and your family are going through. I will send positive thoughts your daughters way....