Dr. David, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Experienced Physician trained in New York City. I'm ready to help.
41363181

I have been having weird vision problem with my left eye. It

Customer Question

I have been having weird vision problem with my left eye for months. It felt congested and a little heavy. The center field was blanking out a bit. I had my eyes tested with all of the tests to include is it an OCT? They found nothing wrong with any of the vessels or retina, no glaucoma, eye pressure issues, macula checked out too. This was about a month and a half ago. He couldn't figure out why my vision was so poor in the left as no amount of correction resolved it. It looks like a zig zaggy line of nothingnness through the middle and now is spreading a bit...Had a huge broken blood vessel in the top of the left eye this week and vision seems worse. No problem with blood pressure or diabetes...Lots of stress! And, losing vision is adding to it...mild ache and pressure behind eye and temple. Been taking arnica sublingually to absorb blood. It is clearing up. The vessel broken is across the upper sclera and is still bright red but no longer leaking. I am at a loss of what to do...
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

This is Dr. David

if you are having a lot of stress you might need treatment to help decrease anxiety and stress to help your symptoms.

you could be having inflammation of your sinuses which can also be affecting your vision

are you on medications to help decrease anxiety?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a yoga instructor who is well aware and practiced in the emotional effect on the physical. While yoga, breathing exercises, visualization and meditation helps with the anxiety it does not improve the vision. Also, have a .25 mg script for Xanax from my OB/Gyno for anxiety while flying or menopausal anxiety peaks. Have been using it at times and it doesn't change the visual field much..Maybe just a little. When I went for the eye exam and tests, I requested a zpac in case there was some infection sinus or otherwise causing the "congested or blocked feeling"...it didn't make any difference. Please advise?
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

it sounds like you need more treatment for your anxiety symptoms since you do have a history of excessive anxiety and that you are using 0.25mg of xanax for bad anxiety symptoms

it doesn't sound like you have a problem with your eye.

it sounds like you do have excessive anxiety disorder which you need more treatment for

you might benefit from a longer acting benzo agent like klonopin

or possibly an SSRI agent like zoloft or paxil which can help decrease your anxiety symptoms.

or possibly effexor or wellbutrin which could help.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have been to a Nuero opthamologist , had an MRI and they have found a pituitary adenoma. I guess it wasn't just stress...
Expert:  Dr. David replied 1 year ago.

how large is the pituitary adenoma? it has to be quite large to be pressing on your optic chiasm.