Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Is it safe to have Cataract removal while on Blood thinners?

Customer Question

Is it safe to have Cataract removal while on Blood thinners? I have heard your eye can bleed and cause blindness. Is this true?
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have major heart problems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
We can chat on the phone or via video skype if you would like. All you need to do is accept the additional services link I am sending to you now....
Yes. I have done not only cataract surgery but retina surgery on patient who are on blood thinners and their INR levels are therapeutic -- meaning that their blood is "good 'n thin" ;)
In my opinion, there is no need to stop your blood thinners, especially in today's environment of "no stitch, no patch, no shot" micro-incision cataract surgery.
Of course, your cataract surgeon is the person to ask if she wants you to stop your blood thinners before surgery....but I just can't imagine you needing to do that.
So. What is the take home message?
Cataract surgery is safe to have when you are on blood thinners.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS