Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have keratekonus and glaucoma in one eye predominately.

Customer Question

Hi Doc, I have keratekonus and glaucoma in one eye predominately. Sadly we didn't get on top of it time and I have lost a lot of my peripheral vision in the right. I was wondering if there were 'glasses' (would imagine that they would need to be pretty unusual) that could give some degree of acuity to that eye - at present I am at best down to finger counting on the right, the left is just -2.5 and easily corrected with regular glasses. I guess I'm looking for some way of gaining more than just blur fuzz from whats left of my right vision field!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
No. There is no glasses, no medication, no surgery....nothing that can restore the vision that you have lost due to your glaucoma. That is because optic nerve fibers have been destroyed and, once dead, can not be regained.
Of course, the keratoconus can be addressed with contact lenses, surgery etc.
Does this make sense to you?
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS