Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Almost six years ago, I was diagnosed with severe Sjögren's

Customer Question

Almost six years ago, I was diagnosed with severe Sjögren's syndrome in both eyes. My ophthalmologist, who is excellent and practiced for over 30 years told me then that I had the most severe case he had ever seen, and it would take six months for my eyes to heal, he was right, I have learned to live with this painful condition by taking excellent care of my eyes. Two years ago, I had a brain infarction, a small one, while trying to recuperate from having two cervical discs removed and a large calcium deposit in my neck. Since the infarction, my speech slurs from time to time, but I noticed that EVERYTIME I looked to the left, my vision was very blurred. I have simply thought it was the Sjögren's and contined to lubricate my left eye more. I finally saw my opthalmogist yesterday and he told me I have lost half the vision in my left eye, and was going to order me stronger glasses. He told me the vision loss was probably due to the infarction, and that is when my left eye vision became so much worse. Is this normal? My doctor was very busy yesterday because they had an emergency in the next room, so I did not want to keep him. Is this normal. Because I grew up with my legally blind mother and aunt, who both have RP. So, I am very afraid of RP and if my left eye issue is due from the brain infarction, please let me know this is not a symptom of RP
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
Did he say what caused you to loose half your vision?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.