Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had RK surgery on my right eye many years ago. As this did

Customer Question

I had RK surgery on my right eye many years ago. As this did not turn out well, I never had the other eye done. Because of this I've had to wear a contact lens on the left eye to make the image sizes manageable to my brain. ( I think there may be about 7 diopters difference now. ) Since then I've had vitriol detachment in both eyes resulting in huge floaters which really make it difficult to drive under various conditions, etc. If I have the surgery to remove the vitreous, I will also have to have cataract surgery soon.
My question is this: What must be done to restore my eyes to where I will be able to use eyeglasses again ( after the cataract surgery) and in what order should these things be done?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
As a retina specialist I would have to urge caution when it comes to having a vitrectomy done to get rid of your floaters. While things usually go well serious complications, even blindness or loss of the eye, can occur. ALso there may soon be a less invasive alternative:
In January 2013 a new drug, called Ocriplasmin, was approved by the FDA to dissolve vitreous strands in a particular eye condition called vitreomacular traction. Perhaps someday this drug could be used to also remove floaters…. Only time will tell.
To answer your questions directly:
You will probably need cataract surgery in both eyes in order to wear normal glasses again. If you are going to have all this surgery done I would suggest you do things in this order:
1. Clear lens extraction/cataract surgery with PCIOL in your left eye.
2. Pars plana vitrectomy in the left eye
(1&2 above could be combined in one surgery)
3. Clear lens extraction/cataract surgery with PCIOL in your right eye once the final refraction is obtained in your left eye.
4. Pars Plana vitrectomy in your right eye.
The previous RK surgery in your right eye makes the final visual (refractive error/eyeglasses power) outcome harder to get "right" to balance the left eye.
So. What is the take home message?
This is a lot of surgery to go through to get rid of your floaters and there is a small -- but very real -- risk that something could go wrong, leaving you worse off then you are today.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS