Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had cataract surgery a few years ago. Now at odd times I

Customer Question

I had cataract surgery a few years ago. Now at odd times I see a bright flash at the corner of my eyes, and when I read steadily I have double vision
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the question.The two symptoms do not seem to be related to each other or to the cataract surgery.Occasional flashes of light can be seen in case of PVD(posterior vitreous detachment), a kind of age related change in the gel like substance called vitreous. It is not a serious condition and does not require any urgent treatment. However it needs to be confirmed by a dilated eye exam.Double vision only while reading can occur due to tear film issues. Some amount of dry eyes can cause reflex watering or pooling of tears in the eyes. This can cause a doubling or blurring of vision. However this improves with each blink. It can be treated with lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day. If the double vision is constantly present( both for distance vision and near vision), experienced with both eyes open but disappears with one eye closed, then it requires a detailed evaluation by an ophthalmologist to look for any muscle weakness or nerve weakness. Treatment would depend on the underlying cause.