Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My wife had a kenalog injection in her eye about 4 weeks ago.

Customer Question

My wife had a kenalog injection in her eye about 4 weeks ago. For the last week and a half she has had severe pain in her eye and headaches. Her eye also seems to be sweating. She said when she opens her eye it feels like electric shocks. She gets shots in her eye about 4 times a year for the last 3 years. Originally diagnosed with Psuedotumor cerbri, they have removed that diagnosis. Is this a normal side effect of this Shot? This is only the second kenalog inj. The first one wasn't this bad.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today. I am a retina specialist.
Intraocular kenalog would not be used to treat pseudotumor......
But, to answer your question directly, No. This is not a normal side effect of this shot.
Her symptoms may be a sign that the pressure inside her eye has become very high. This can occur with used of steroids.
You wife needs to be seen by an ophthalmologist right away. Do not delay seeing evaluation even if this means going to the ER where the on-call eye doctor can come in and check her eye pressure as well as do a complete exam.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS