Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have poison ivy and wiped down a lot of things I touched. Now I am having trouble with

Customer Question

I have poison ivy and wiped down a lot of things I touched. Now I am having trouble with both eyes watering, tiny bit of swelling, and feeling cool. No stinging but they feel funny and I'm worried about damaging them. I'm thinking I have gotten some of the alcohol in them. It is 91%. Should I go to ER? Have rinsed them some with cold water. Cold compresses but they still feel funny. Do not want to damage them! Could you advise?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Hello,It is better to rinse the eyes with more water ( atleast 500 ml over 10-15 mins) so that most of the allergen is washed away. However some amount of chemical reaction is expected due to the brief contact with the eye surfaces. The chances of it penetrating deeper into the tissues and causing any further damage is less likely and you might have been experiencing some reaction. If the eye wash and cool compresses do not help then in addition to these you can try putting Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day and Alaway/Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop twice a day. You can also take oral anti-histaminics such as Tab.Levocetrizine, 5 mg , once at night if you experience itching or swelling around the eyes. With the above said measures the symptoms are expected to subside by 5-7 days. Persistent symptoms beyond that period should be brought to the notice of your ophthalmologist.