Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I am a 93 year old Man who lost the use of his right eye on

Customer Question

I am a 93 year old Man who lost the use of his right eye on July 14. The cause was an insufficiency of blood to the right optic nerve. The left eye was saved by a lengthy application of inflammation reducing drip. As a consequence of a catarack operation years ago I have a 20-20 implant in the right eye and a 20-40 in the left.
I've been told that chances for any recovery are slim indeed. But I do have some residual vision in the right half of the visual field. This tells me that some life still remains. I am the kind of persistent person--with infinite time on my hands--who is willing to work hard and long in hope of any possible improvement. My general health is far better than that of those who are decades younger. Never had blood pressure or sugar problems, weight has always been normal. I walk for 30 minutes a day, year around. I am a motivated, retired electrical engineer. I find that I can drive without difficulty and take care of daily needs, using the remaining eye.
I am willing to experiment with medicines if it makes any sense at all.
Norm Charest.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Hello,Thank you for the question and sorry to know about the visual loss in the right eye.If the visual loss in the right eye was sudden in onset, with an explanation of reduced blood supply to the optic nerve then it must have been due to central retinal artery occlusion(CRAO). Visual recovery in this condition would depend on how quick the blood circulation got restored in the artery ( the artery is usually blocked in such cases by an embolus or blood clot coming from the carotid arteries in the neck). Visual recovery can be partial or even total loss depending on the extent of involvement of the blood circulation. However it is better to get carotid doppler scan done to look for stenosis or narrowing of the carotid arteries. This can be done by reference from a physician or cardiologist. Unfortunately beyond 24 hours there is minimal hope for visual recovery with any of the medicines. Sorry for putting it so bluntly but visual recovery directly depends on how early the blood clot gets dislodged. Intravenous Mannitol drip is given to bring the intraocular pressure down thus reducing the pressure on the artery. I hope the information helps. Please feel free to ask follow up questions , if any. Thank you. I truly appreciate your spirit and salute your positive attitude.