Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

My lower eyelids turn inside while I am sleeping at night.

Customer Question

My lower eyelids turn inside while I am sleeping at night. The next morning I have to pull
them down with my fingers. I am 88 years old, a diabetic other than that I think I am in good health. Would you recommend me having the eye surgery? Please advise. I was planning to have the surgery but my children say no. I am a widow and live alone. What
would you do. Also is the surgery dangerous?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the question.

Inward rolling of lower eyelid is called entropion. It occurs in elderly due to weak eyelid muscles and is called senile entropion. Your doctor is right regarding surgery as definitive treatment. It is a simple surgery and will not cause anu problems later. It is better to undergo the surgery than leave it . If left alone it can lead to constant inward rolling of the lid causing more complications due to rubbing of eyelashes on the cornea.

Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist