Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I've had pink eye now and my vision seems affected as

Customer Question

I've had pink eye for week now and my vision seems affected as result. I went to doctor and they said its viral and can't do anything for it.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
Yes, one of the most common cause for pink eyes is viral conjunctivitis. It is a self limiting condition which requires no medication. even if eye drops were to be given , the infection would subside once it completes its natural course.Usually it involves only the white part of the eye and hence does not affect vision. However in some case it is a keratoconjunctivitis which involves the cornea also. There can be faint opacities which develope in the superficial layers of the cornea which cause blurred vision. However these are temporary and disappear gradually over weeks to months. You can wait for another 3-4 weeks for improvement to occur and if none then review back with your ophthalmologist who may want to put you on a short course of steroid eye drops.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I keep getting crust formation around eyes and feels like something always in my eye
That could be due to associated meibomitis and dry eyes.
Meibomian glands are modified sebaceous glands present in the eyelids and drain their secretions through tiny tubules or ducts which open into the eyelid margins. A stye can occur due to infection of one of these glands while meibomitis occurs due to block of one of the ducts. Both respond well to warm compresses. In addition to this meibomitis requires gentle lid scrubs, lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, regular intake of Omega 3 fatty acids( fish, Flax seeds).