Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had a corneal transplant and am trying to decide if I need

Customer Question

I had a corneal transplant and am trying to decide if I need to return to my doctor. I do not want to seem a nuisance
Category: Eye
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My eye seems to be cloudy when looked at, and you cannot even see the stitches anymore even with a magnifying glass. My vision had seemed to improve a bit, but now it seems to be getting worse. The eye is red and feels like there is something in it at all times. I am approx. 8 weeks post op.
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Hello,It is very important to go for a regular follow up with your operating surgeon following corneal transplant as there is always a risk of rejection ( since the donor cornea is from another person the immune system in the body can sometimes reject it and cause a failure). Hence it is important to get the eye examined as early diagnosis and steroid treatment can help in curbing the rejection. Since you have noticed some clouding in the donor graft, it could be due to edema of the graft. It would be difficult to comment regarding presence of graft rejection or failure without a thorough eye exam. It is better to get an appointment with your surgeon and let him know about your findings. If he is already aware then you must have been prescribed steroid eye drops which should be continued as prescribed. He may want to start oral steroids if there is more inflammation.