Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I was experiencing numbness above both eyes, in much of

Customer Question

I was experiencing numbness above both eyes, in much of my forehead and down the bridge of my nose as well as some slight swelling in my forehead. It gave me a general fuzzy feeling and sometimes made me feel somewhat dazed and I had difficulty concentrating due to the issue. I also had seen unusual visuals after a few weeks of experiencing the numbness, the most unusual being a very huge and bright green visual that I can only compare to what an atomic bomb looks like and which had lit up the sky when I saw it. Two people with me at the time had not seen this though they were facing the same direction as me. I have not been on any drugs medicated or otherwise and do not drink or smoke. I had an MRI done (head only) as it was suspected to be sinuses but was told the MRI came back fine and that there were no sinus fluids they had seen and nothing else to be concerned about. I also had my eyes checked by an ophthalmologist, but had been told they were healthy except I do have double vision, but was told that that would not have attributed to many of the symptoms I'd had though it could be a cause of the fuzziness or tough time to concentrate. After about a month, the feeling seemed to fade but then it recently started back up about two weeks ago. I have not been in the sun much and I eat relatively healthy and exercise 2-3 times a week and keep pretty hydrated. I am uncertain what is causing this or what it could be. I've seen a few different doctors - two ER doctors, my general practitioner, an ophthalmologist and a neurologist - but none have been able to help figure out what it could be since they said the MRI seemed to show no issues.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It sounds like you have spent quite some time trying to get to the bottom of what is going on. I am sure that your previous doctors have thought of, and ruled out, all of the common and easily treatable conditions that could be causing your issues. Would you say this is a correct statement?
Well I think it might be time for you to take a very difficult, and bold, step to see if you can get some relief.
At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS