Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My dog put his heavy paw in my eye ball while I was laying

Customer Question

Hi
My dog put his heavy paw in my eye ball while I was laying down. I got up fast and was seeing double image. I freaked out, it lasted about 10 seconds until my wife threw a bottle of cold water onto my face and poured it on my chest. The cold water shocked me and pulled me out of my panic attack. My vision came back to normal. I still have that weird feeling in my mind of not being able to see clear. My eye is normal with no bruise or anything different. I can see normal with no difference from before the incident.
What exactly happened to me and could have this little touch by my dog had caused maybe some damage to my eye?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It sounds to me like you had a significant panic attack over this incident.
I do not believe, from what you have posted, that any damage has been done to your eye. Since everything is back to normal and you do not have any eye pain I do not think you need to worry at all.
Of course, the best way to be 110% sure is to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist this morning.....
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi
So to clarify, my dog did not direct touch my eye ball but the top of my eye lid. When I got up, my first thought was that he either scratched my eye or pushed it in. I was closing and rubbing it and seeing a double image ( kinda like you are pressing the top of a good eye and image will not line up with the other eye's image)
I was trying to "walk it off" thinking that will come back to see normal and maybe was just a temporary but it didn't go away right away.
Both my eye were open and images were crossed( a very strange feeling) then I panicked because I thought that maybe my eye was locked up in one position. My wife was next to me and she said that my eyes look good. Only after she poured cold water on my face and on my chest that eye vision lined up again
The most terrifying experience I have ever had in my life.
Like I said, I don't have any spots or bruises or a black eye or anything, all looks normal and i see normal but what exactly has happened to my eye in that time that could not see straight( it was kind of line I was crisscrossing my eyes)
Let me know what you think please
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for that additional information.
Your eye is 110% OK. No damage.
Nothing to worry about.
Make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did the hit spasm my top of eye muscle and that was the reason images didn't line up?
I understand that you think I am ok but I need to know what has happened after the hit and why I couldn't see normal.
Eye is not bruised or any blood or anything after days.
What exactly happened then?
I did not see double image with both eyes because of a panic attack.
If you cannot explain it, I understand....