Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have glaucoma and cataracts...was told my pressure was

Customer Question

I have glaucoma and cataracts...was told my pressure was fine with glaucoma after using drops for awhile when I went to schedule cataract surgery months later was told the glaucoma was severe and severe damage to one eye..I was wondering how long the deterioration
process usually takes for severe damage..the surgeon still scheduled followup for a month without the cataract surgery for the bad eye even though cataract has caused severe loss of vision I know he wants to make sure the pressure is lower but I further understand
the cataract aggravates the glaucoma a month between visits seems a long time .... how long is the deterioration process usually if untreated
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. My name is***** and I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience. I am an ophthalmologist.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
It usually take a long time for damage to your optic nerve to get severe unless, of course, your pressure was very high or something else was going on.
The cataract DOES NOT aggravate your glaucoma (except in rare cases) and I totally agree with holding off on surgery until your eye pressure is under better control.
Was, perhaps, your glaucoma being "managed" by an optometrist? If so, perhaps she did not have enough training and experience to be messing with this progressive, irreversible, blinding disease....
Waiting a month to see the ophthalmologist is not going to cause your glaucoma to get worse....just take your drops as directed.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Best of luck in your upcoming cataract surgery.