Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My vision is static and I been light headed and dissy also

Customer Question

My vision is static and I been light headed and dissy also my eye lids have stated twitching
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
What do you mean by your vision is static?
How long does this static last?
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It all happens 5 years ago I had a bad experience with crystal meth and my vision changed it I was like lots of moving parts and some times I could see smoke radiating off things I have not touched drugs I dealt with it for 5 years untin now it is getting really bad I have been feeling light headed and dissy a lot and my vision is getting worse I've been feeling slight pain in my head and my eye lids have been twitching I'm worryed it could be a brain tumor
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I havnt touched drugs since it happened I'm not a junky I'm a apprentice welder full time worker who made the wrong desisons as a kid
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm not on any medication or have any other health problems also my memory is getting worse this is the first time iv told anyone about this
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do think ?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sorry....I had to start getting ready to head into the clinic :)
Thank you for that extra information.
Good news! This is not related to you past history of drug abuse. You have a couple of things going on.
Please allow me to explain:
What you are describing is consistent with ocular migraines, a condition that I not only treat in my office but that I have been dealing with personally for decades.
A typical migraine headache starts with shimmering lights, often times they surround a blurry area or have dots or jaggedly lines associated with them. They tend to progressively increase in intensity and sometimes march across the visual field causing difficulty with reading. Many times this is then accompanied by nausea, irritability, sensitivity to bright lights and/or loud noises. After the onset of the lights (called scintillating scotomas), the headache typically starts and the light show tends to progressively go away.
Many people can have this migraine phenomenon WITHOUT the headache; it is called an acephalgic migraine. Some people even start having these late in life, or may have had a few much earlier in life that behaved differently and haven't had any for decades and then begin to have them; this is not uncommon. A family history of migraines is often present as well.
This is nothing to worry about. It is not a sign of a more serious underlying condition, brain tumor or anything like that. If the episodes become so frequent that they are bothersome there are medicines that can be used to decrease their frequency or stop an episode once it has started.
I, personally, have been suffering from this condition for almost 30 years. I almost never got the headaches after the visual effects.
There was one time, I was in the middle of a very delicate retina operation, when an attack started. After a few moments I lost most of my central vision and the inferior part of my visual field. I, calmly, removed my surgical instruments from the patients eye and we all sat around in the OR for 15 minutes until my vision returned. Other than that my ocular migraines have not really caused me any significant problems :o)
The most likely cause of your eyelid symptoms is called myokymia. Myokymia is an involuntary, local twitching of a few muscle fibers in the body of a muscle. This twitching, if it occurs in a limb, is not strong enough to actually move a joint but can be felt and sometimes seen as an area of quivering.
Myokymia commonly involves the eyelids and muscles around the orbit. It often appears and resolves for no apparent reason and has not been linked to any underlying significant pathology. What causes myokymia? Studies have shown that it is associated with anxiety, stress, lack of good sleep, high caffeine intake and the use of some drugs.
The best way to treat myokymia is to get more sleep, decrease caffeine intake and decrease stress. The good news is that myokymia is not a sign of serious underlying pathology and often resolves on its own.
Here is an excellent article on this topic:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1213160-overview
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
It is not a Tumor (said in an Terminator Voice)
You can put this fear behind you.....
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks heaps what would tumor smytom s be
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
You do not have a tumor.
If you are worried that I am wrong I suggest you don't put together a list of tumor symptoms or talk to the Evil Dr. Google:
Get an MRI. Then you will know if you have a brain tumor or not.
But. Trust me:
You do not have a brain tumor.
Of course, the best therapy for a possible brain tumor is to mash the excellent feedback button and leave a huge tip ;)
Have a good weekend.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ahah thanks heaps not so worryed now :) I might get a MRI to be safe tho how do I go asking my doctor for one
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Sounds like a good plan....but, remember:
See the pretty Excellent feedback button? Don't be afraid. Give it a little push. You'll like it.....Trust me, I'm a Doctor ;)
I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will if you awser my question
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I did answer your question.....what is left unanswered?