Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Doctor. My father got cement in his eye and it's really

Customer Question

Hello doctor. My father got cement in his eye and it's really red
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
Cement powder is worse then mixed cement. Both of them are very alkaline and can cause significant damage to the front of the eye (cornea)
He should wash his eye out for at least 15 minutes with someone helping him by directing the water stream and helping to keep his eye open.
The eye should then be inspected to make sure that there is no grit or chunks under the eyelids and laying around.
He can then use cold compresses and artificial tears.
He should go to the ER if:
His vision is significantly compromised.
He is in a lot of pain and it seem to be getting worse.
The front of his eye is cloudy at all.
He is really worried -- it is always safest to have a eye doctor check things out in person.
If no significant damage has been done his eye should feel better in the morning although it will probably still be pretty red.
Does this make sense to you?
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok yeah makes sense so he should basically continue to wash his eye out and apply a cold pack? He says he can see fine he just feels like there's something in there
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
You said that you couldn't see anything in his eye so it is very possible that he has a corneal abrasion.
If possible get some bland ocular ointment, like lacrilube or refresh PM, and goop up his eye with that just before he goes to bed.
His eye will still look like heck in the morning but if his vision is pretty much OK and it hurts less then he should be fine in 24 hours or so.
If it feels worse or he has any concerns get into see an ophthalmologist tomorrow....especially with the weekend coming up.
Make sense?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so this ointment should be put into his eye?
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
yes. Just hold down the lower eyelid and put a glob in there, then gently close his eye.
That will sooth and protect his cornea, especially when he goes into REM sleep (dreaming)....
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok! Thanks!!! Anything else you would recommend???
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Nope. I think he will be OK in the long run.One other thing, however, that you can do:Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;) It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me. Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's it okay for him to patch up his eye after putting in the refresh pm
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
yes...but if his eye still hurts that much at this point he needs to see and Eye MD ASAP for a full exam.As I have mentioned before I am not compensated for helping you until you press the positive feedback button to release the funds you have put on deposit. I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the excellent feedback button for this encounter. And, don’t forget, I work for tips. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern. Dr. Rick MD FACS