Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I have a quick question. I have noticed a white film

Customer Question

Hello, I have a quick question. I have noticed a white film very definate line going from the outside of the coloured part of eye to the corner or eye. Could this be from inflamation? We live in the desert so lots of dust around
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question.Apart from the film going from outside part to the colored part of the eye, is there any redness in that eye?Any change in vision?Any pain or photophobia in that eye?This is just an information request. I look forward to your replies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is slight redness (looks like blood vessels). No change of vision and no pain. Just feels itchy every now and then on the corner of the eyes
Yes, sometimes excessive heat, exposure to UV rays of sunlight, dust can cause a kind of thin layer to form in the white part of the eye which is called Pterygium. It is a harmless condition but can cause localised redness when inflamed. It is known to grow very very slowly towards the colored part of the eye. If it encroaches it further then it can be removed surgically.
In early stages it can be treated with lubricating eye drops, regular use of photochromatic sunglasses and anti-inflammatory eye drops. You can use Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day, Alaway or Zaditor eye drops, 1 drop 2 times a day ( both are available OTC) . Remember to wear sunglasses when outdoors.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Experts are available for advice in modes other than chat and Q&A such as confidential mail/chat, Phone, Skype also. You can avail these with additional offer.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for that. I also spend alot of time on the computer. Do the eye drops stop it growing any bigger? I've just begun taking "TobraDex" which was given to me a few months ago for conjungtivitis. Will this help?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello I'm still awaiting for your response from my last question. Please answer me
Sorry for the delay in replying back.
The eyedrops will not stop the film from growing but will only reduce the inflammation, itching and help soothe the eye.
Tobradex would help if the inflammation is severe with lot of redness and discomfort not otherwise. It is better to avoid the steroid eye drops however.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay thanks for your reply. I will also see a dr to get it checked out to confirm that that is what it is. Thank you
Thank you and best wishes.
Read more: http://www.justanswer.com/expert/qa.aspx?src=pql&sso=1&T=15380098&rpt=1020#ixzz3dh6rfTWH