Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

This morning. my right eye was very red and draining. I had

Customer Question

This morning. my right eye was very red and draining. I had crusty buildup in the corner of my eye. Now it is both eyes
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It sounds like you have viral conjunctivitis, also called pink eye. As this is caused by a virus no antibiotics are necessary as they only treat bacteria, not viruses. You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. This infection usually runs its course in two weeks or so.
This is because pink eye is caused by a virus and just has to run its course. It may spread to your other eye.....like it already has :(
This is very common and is nothing to worry about.
You should use cold compresses and natural tears as often as you want to soothe your eyes. Bion tears is very good brand name but any artificial tears will work just fine.
It is also very contagious so make sure to wash your hands well, don't share towels etc. It is likely that other members of your household will catch this.....But not to worry, in the vast majority of cases the infection resolves without any residual effects.
Do not use visine....that just irritates things more.
Don't forget to mash the positive feedback button for me...the one labeled "excellent" is the most fun to push by far ;)
It's safe for you to press the positive feedback button now if you so desire. And, never fear, even after you press that button I don't go up in a puff of smoke -- I'll still be right here to continue helping you, but, as I do work for tips, I want to make sure you are happy before rating me.
Dr. Rick MD FACS