Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

I have been having issues with my eyes, I think my

Customer Question

Hi... I have been having issues with my eyes, I think my eyes, for a few years... Since I started working in the office I currently work in... My issue is hard to explain... I work as a nurse in a peds office, under horrible flourescent lighting and I
stare at a computer ALL day, unless I'm walking to get a patient from the waiting room... Maybe 2 mins not staring at a computer when I do that or get vitals... I sometimes get these incredibly uncomfortable waves of dizziness or unsteadiness throughout the
day, then when I leave work and go out into the normal sunlight, my eyes feel like they can't handle it... I squint like crazy and then they start watering like crazy. They look very red most of the day... And sometimes throughout the day they will burn...
Throughout the day, they will feel incredibly dry so I will put in refresh gel drops but that only helps for a few minutes... Anything you can think of that could be causing this??? Does it sound like a neuro problem?!?!? I had my eyes checked last year and
they were ok... Not sure what to do here. Please help!!! 😳 also, after leaving work and sometimes during, they look very glassy... Honestly, I'm sure people think that I go out and smoke pot, but I don't!!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.Constant use of computer and exposure to bright ,flouroscent lighting and glare can cause plenty of eye and generalised symptoms.The eye symptoms will include dry eyes,red eyes,squinting,blinking and eye fatigue.Generalised symptoms will include fatigue,irritability,drowsinss,lack of concentration,headache and neck pain.taking frequent breaks of 5-6 minute duration from this environment evry 40-60 minutes apart from 2 20 minute breaks should help reduce the problem.You may need to get your eyes checked again.use of glare proof screen on the computer will help.
https://nurse-practitioners-and-physician-assistants.advanceweb.com/Features/Articles/Computer-Vision-Syndrome.aspx is a site of interest.
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Wearing of quality Ultraviolet proof glasses will further help reducing the eye strain.