Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I had cataract eye lense replacement surgery on right eye on

Customer Question

i had cataract eye lense replacement surgery on right eye on mar.26 2015 i think i have developed macular hole in left eye which had lens replacement surgery in nov. 2011. is macular hole common in cataract lens replacement surgery. the black spot has developed in the last couple of weeks and is small at this point.how soon should i seek help? and can this be corrected with surgery? thank you.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
I am online and available to help you today. Thank you for your patience.
Question and answer is just one of the services I offer. I can also provide you with additional services, such as live telephone or skype consultation, at a small additional cost. Let me know if you are interested.
Do you have any other medical problems or take any medications?
This is not an answer, but an Information Request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. I look forward to helping you.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I am a retina surgeon and treat macular holes almost weekly....
You need to seek care ASAP. I suggest you have a dilated eye exam by an ophthalmologist tomorrow morning if you think you have a macular hole.
The sooner a macular hole is diagnosed and treated the better the final visual outcome in many cases.
And, yes, surgery is how these things are managed.
make sense to you?
At this point I think the best thing for you to do would be to gather up copies of all your medical records and travel to a large University Teaching hospital. At an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you Dr. Rick i used your answer to inform my opthalmologist of what i thought it might be and he said it was serious and made appt. to see me tomorrow. i used your service to inform me before i spoke to my eye surgeon to be speak on the issue with some understanding of it
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
I'm glad I could help you get into see your eye MD quickly.
I wish you the very best.
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you can please give me the top rating in all areas. It has been a pleasure to assist you today.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS