Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Black ant squirt fell into my eye, burning sensation, help!

Customer Question

On Sunday I had a black ant crawling on my wall I pushed it with my finger killing it but when I did They exploded in my left eye it burned really bad now it seems I have an infection in My eye what should I do
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.

It is very unlikely that anything from the squashed black ant, even if it did get in your eye, would cause any problems.

For the irritation I suggest you use cold compresses and frequent artificial tears. If your eye is bothering you in 24 hours then you should consult with an ophthalmologist.

There is no over the counter antibiotics available to use in your eyes. Does this make sense to you?

Rick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems I have yellow stuff in my eye i'm doing the artificial eyedrops now
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.

That is probably not a sign of infection but rather dryness and irritation. The good news? From what you have posted here today I believe you will be fine. You might also try scrubbing your eyelids to get rid of any foreign substance.

I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on your eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes.

Does this make sense? I hope this information was helpful for you.

Thanks in advance

Rick