Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My left eye has been irritated couple of weeks. The outer

Customer Question

My left eye has been irritated for a couple of weeks. The outer edge of the eye tears constantly and it feels like an eyelash or something is stuck, or the eyelid is tucked in on itself, but I cannot see anything wrong. Both eyes are a bit irritated, probably from seasonal allergies, but the left eye is really bad.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
Misdirected eyelash can sometimes cause similar symptoms of irritation and watering. However everything might appear normal to the naked eye. On close examination under magnification, it can be observed. If present it just needs to be plucked or epilated. However it should be done by an ophthalmologist and not attempted at home. Until then it is better to continue with Pataday eye drops, 1 drop twice a day, Refresh tears eye drops, 1 drop 4 times a day. These signs and symptoms are not related to macular degeneration.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. Can we rule out an allergic problem on the grounds that it is only affecting one eye?
Yes, allergy is known to cause irritation and watering. Since both eyes are irritated, allergy can be considered as the most likely cause. Pataday is the treatment of choice. However excessive watering from the left eye alone due to allergy seems possible but less likely. Hence the suspicion of misdirected eye lash.If it is indeed due to allergy then symptoms should improve eith the you of Pataday eye drops. So continue using it as advised and consider getting an eye exam done if the watering persists in the left eye. If there is no eyelash problem, then severity of allergy in left eye can be considered to be more. Sometimes raised lesions on the undersurface of the upper lid called papillae can cause more irritation, abrade the cornea and cause profuse watering. However a close eye exam by an ophthalmologist alone can help to know the exact cause. Continue with Pataday and Refresh tears eye drops.
Best wishes and regards