Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Dr, I've been seeing a mask like shadow over both my eyes

Customer Question

Hi Dr, I've been seeing a mask like shadow over both my eyes when I wake up every morning and a dull yellow tint throughout the day... This has gone on for the past 4 days, is this unusual I'm a healthy 47 year old male with no health issues
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
Does the mask like shadow cover the entire field of vision or is it only in the periphery?
Does the shadow disappear on blinking your eyes or after washing your face and eyes?
Do you mean that the visual field is tinted yellow and not yellow discoloration of the eyes, right?
This is just a info request and I look forward to your replies.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mask only covers periphery, yes after blinking or washing my face the "mask" effect is lifted, the visual field is tinted yellow a bright room always looks a little dark
Thank you for the reply and additional information.
Since both the eyes are simultaneously affected and only peripheral vision is more affected, it could either be due to fortification spectra seen in case of migraine. Acephalgic migraine can have such spectra but headache is notably absent. However these episodes last anywhere between few minutes to an hour or so. Though the symptoms do not sound alarming, the reduction in the brightness of the surroundings indicate that the contrast sensitivity is kind of reduced.
If you have had an eye exam in the last 6 months then nothing to worry. However if your last eye exam was more than 6 months back then it is better to get a routine eye exam done with more emphasis on the intraocular pressure, dilated eye exam for optic nerve function.
If the shadow disappears after a while then it is likely to be due to a migraine.No treatment needed except for a routine eye exam. Use lubricating eye drops such as Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 times a day to keep the well lubricated. The tear film plays a very important role in having a good pre-corneal film which ensures good vision.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.
Thank you and best wishes.
It was a pleasure to have answered this question.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist