DrRussMD, Board Certified Physician
Experience:  Internal Medicine--practice all of internal medicine, all ages, family, health, prevention, complementary medicine, etc.
24257177

18 years (I'm 43) I have been experiencing a

Customer Question

Hi For about 18 years (I'm 43) I have been experiencing a weird phenomenon with both eyes. I will try and explain. If I stare at a white wall or mirror and look straight ahead with out moving my eyes then move my head either left, right, up or down as
much as it can go without moving my eyes I can see sort of grey circles appear (around the area of the blind spot in each eye - so just right off center in the right eye etc), that get wider the further I turn. They seem to appear when I take my eyes to an
unnatural place – So if I look left as much as I can and then turn my head slowly right - a kind of grey circle appears. It seems to happen when I look past I guess normal movement of the eye if you see what I mean. It feels like I'm changing the shape of
my eye or straining something, Thanks
Category: Eye
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is a visual phenomena that you are inducing.
It is not abnormal.
You have seen opthalmologists, correct?
And what have they told you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No not yet, too apprehensiveThanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
OK
Given this amount of time, and what you describer, this is a visual symptom you are inducing, and anxiety can do it.
See an opthalmologist for a clean bill of health.
OK, so that is an initial answer….
Please use reply to expert if you have further questions. When you are ready, please click a positive rating [hopefully excellent]. If you forgot something, come back. I am here daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** see them all.the time, (when I try to) no real anxiety
Thanks
Expert:  DrRussMD replied 1 year ago.
Anything going of for 18 years is not likely to be serious.
You need to see an opthalmologist, and being anxious about it should not stop you.
OK, so that is an initial answer….