Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I had a Clindamycin capsule that opened up so I threw it in

Customer Question

I had a Clindamycin capsule that opened up so I threw it in the garbage pail. I had forgotten that I threw it in the garbage pail, and as I emptied the garbage pail, the white powder from the capsule got into the air, and I inhaled it. Now my eyes are irritated, and my throat hurts. Is it dangerous to have inhaled that?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the question.I am Dr.A.S.Desai and I look forward to assisting you .
The powder from clindamycin capsule will not cause any harm if inhaled or if it enters the eye. It is unlikely to enter the body tissues in this way. The irritation in the eye and throat may not have been purely due to thepowder coming out of a single capsule but would ddepend on what else was there in the garbage pail. Whatever be the cause, rinsing of the eye with clean water is the right thing to be done. You can further reduce the irritation by using lubricating eye drops such Refresh tears, 1 drop 4 to 6 times a day. As for the irritation in the throat, you can do warm saline gargles, about 15 seconds rinses for 10 to 15 times and repeat it twice a day. That should take care of any allergic reaction if due to inhalation.
Bot***** *****ne is that this one off incident is unlikely to have caused any harmful reactions and you should be fine soon.
If you need more help, please use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If you do not require further assistance, kindly rate my service.Thank you and best wishes.It was a pleasure to have answered this question.Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There ws nothing else in the garbage pail but the broken capsule. When the poweder went into the air, my eyes started to burn and I started to choke immediately. My throat feels like it is burning. I have been putting tears into my eyes several time a day, but my eyes still burn. This happened yesterday. Should I continue with the eye wash? Is there anything else I should do for my throat besides the rinse with salt water?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The other thing I have noticed since this even took place is that my blood pressure has been elevated a bit.
Thank you for the reply and additional information.
The only thing I can suspect with the given symptoms is that of an allergic reaction which is mild and not very severe ( in severe form there will be breathlessness or wheeze, rise in blood pressure, skin reactions edema of face or body) just to name a few. The lubricating eye drops should be sufficient for the eyes. For the throat irritation you can take Tablet Cetrizine, 10 mg , one tablet at bedtime. Continue with the saline gargles more frequently if irritation is more. Once your symptoms are settled down the blood pressure is likely to come under control. Sometimes anxiety or tension can lead to higher recordings. However persistently high record with worsening symptoms or additional symptoms in the form of breathing difficulty should be brought to the notice of your physician.
Best wishes and good night.