Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

My face has been feeling numb on and off but recently with

Customer Question

My face has been feeling numb on and off but recently with a combined burning feeling on the top of the head and ear numbness. Now more prominent on left side. Have had an MRI of the brain, no significant abnormalities but with a suggestion to further investigate possibility of elevated intracranial pressure. Neurologist requested an eye check for edema behind eyes. eye check revealed no edema but a dismorfation of the optic nerve on both eyes. Now scheduled for a depth of field test to rule out normal tension glaucoma.
Now scheduled to see ENT specialist. How could all these symptoms be related? I also have TMJ, could this be a factor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 1 year ago.
Hi. I'm Dr. Rick and I have two decades of ophthalmology experience. I'm online and happy to answer your question today.
It is important that your eye exam was done by an ophthalmologist (Eye MD).
But, to directly answer your question: I do not think that all of your symptoms are related nor would your TMJ be a factor in these complex symptoms.
From what you have posted, I think it would be a good idea for you to get help from the "experts-expert" at a large University Medical Center. Why go to a Large Medical center? Because at an institution like that you could be evaluated and treated by a team of sub-specialists who are at the cutting edge of their respective fields. The best thing about these large teaching hospitals is that consultations are available with Professors and leaders in their field by just walking a few steps down the hall.
The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota is an excellent example of just such a place as this. That being said there are many excellent teaching hospitals all across the country and I am sure that there is one near you.
I know that it is going to take significant effort on your part, but I believe that going to one of the "Medical Mecca's" is your best chance to – finally -- get to the bottom of what is going on.
Does this make sense to you?
I hope this information was helpful for you. But I do work for tips so I want to make sure you are happy with me before rating me. If you have another question on this or a related issue feel free to fire away. You may also receive an email survey after our chat, if you don’t feel that I have earned the top rating in all areas, please let me know what I can do to meet your expectations.
Thanks in advance,
Dr. Rick MD FACS