Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Iwent to get my eyebrows waxed today at a place that turned

Customer Question

I went to get my eyebrows waxed today at a place that turned out not to be very reputable. The woman did a terrible job, which led to me learning she wasn't licensed. At one point during, she poked me in the eye with her finger nail (the corner of my eye). The place did appear clean and I couldn't find any seriously negative reviews of it, but within about 8 hours of leaving I started to develop a stye on my eye where her finger nail had been poking me and I'm getting worried about developing some kind of serious infection like MRSA from her. She's also a nail technician so she's touching people all day, possibly coming into contact with blood if she cuts anyone doing their nails, etc... How worried should I be about this? What should I look for if it's something serious. Is it possible to pick up MRSA this way or would there need to be an open sore? Thanks!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
There is really no way a fingernail could poke you during a brow waxing.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
That being said, it is always possible to contract mrsa from a person who comes in contact with many people. There does not need to be an open sore. It is very unlikely a simple stye is mrsa as this is not how mrsa presents. It is more likely coincidental.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Use hot compresses and see your Dr for an antibiotic if it enlarges.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her finger nail absolutely poked me. I had to keep telling her to stop. She was doing the waxing while I sat in the shampooing chair and she squeezed in next to it to lean over me. I know I sound crazy but I have anxiety and this is giving me an extreme anxiety attack. My daughter's first birthday party is Sunday and I just feel very upset about the whole thing happening now. I'm sorry to ask a dumb question, but I'm very worried about it.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
Its not a dumb question But a stye is not really an infection so I do not think the two are related.
Expert:  Dr. K. replied 1 year ago.
I viewed the picture. I can barely see the stye This is not MRSA