Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H,34 years of experience
15267045

About a week ago, I started having a round-ish (?1-2mm),

Customer Question

About a week ago, I started having a round-ish (?1-2mm), black-ish, with fiber-ish projections in my right eye. It moves when I move my eye. I don't have pain, fever or change in vision (other than the thing that looks like a mosquito darting around in my visual field.) I take lots of meds, mostly for RA and lower back pain. I have 2 artificial knees. Currently being also treated for a UTI with Amoxicillin. The bug was probably E. coli, although the NA who gave the results seemed to be unsure about that. I have an Ophthalmologist, with whom I have an appt. for a routine check scheduled for a few weeks from now. How urgently do I need to be seen? I know you can't be sure of this without an actual exam, what do you think this could be? PS: I am a retired (disabled) Pediatrician. I practiced for about 25 yrs. after residency. Also, over the last few months, I have had flashing lights, up to down, at the lateral periphery of my vision, when I change my eye position suddenly.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 1 year ago.
Hello,I am Dr. Aren and I will help with your query.What you are probably seeing,would be images of floaters in your vision.As we age,the debris in the vitreous humour may cause gaps in the vision.The vitreous body is usually firmly attached to the optic disc,as we age it tends to get pulled from its attachment leading to bleeding of the optic vessels.There may also be Posterior Vitreous Detachment (PVD) which is a normal part of aging.This may occur anytime from the age of 40-65 years or more,is a normal condition and leads to flashing light sensation(due to the pull of the vitreous on the retina)which is interpreted as flashing lights.Floaters would occur as spots/cobwebs/fibres which move with the movement of the eye.Both the floaters and PVD are normal aging phenomena which occur with almost every body.It would still be prudent to get this checked up and rule out other causes of similar symptoms like retinal detachment or migraines.
http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/eyes/flashes-and-floaters.htm is a site of interest.